American rising tennis star Coco Gauff will not compete in the Tokyo Olympics after testing positive for COVID-19.
- Coco Gauff was set to become the youngest Olympic tennis player since 2000
- The American teenager joins the likes of Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams and Nick Kyrgios in pulling out of Tokyo
- The Games, which begin on Friday, have already had athletes test positive in the Olympic village
Gauff was set to become the youngest Olympic tennis player since 2000. Instead, she joins a number of the world’s top players who have already pulled out of the Tokyo Games.
“I’m disappointed to share the news that I have tested positive for COVID and won’t be able to play in the Olympic Games in Tokyo,” the world number 25, who was going to compete in both the singles and doubles competitions, said on Twitter.
“It has always been a dream of mine to represent the USA at the Olympics, and I hope there will be many more chances for me to make this come true in the future.”
The 17-year-old lost to Angelique Kerber 6-4, 6-4 on Centre Court in the fourth round at Wimbledon earlier this month. It was the second time she had lost at that stage after her breakthrough run at the All England Club in 2019.
“We were saddened to learn that Coco Gauff has tested positive for COVID-19 and will therefore be unable to participate in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games,” the US Tennis Association said in a statement.
“We wish her the best as she deals with this unfortunate situation and hope to see her back on the courts very soon.
“We know Coco will join all of us in rooting on the other Team USA members who will be traveling to Japan and competing in the coming days.”
The Tokyo Games, pushed back by a year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, are scheduled to begin on Friday.
Organisers have confirmed that two South African footballers have become the first athletes to test positive inside the Olympic village.
Gauff’s announcement came two days after Australian tennis player Alex de Minaur tested positive for COVID-19 prior to his departure to Tokyo.
Some of the sport’s biggest names, including Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Serena Williams, Simona Halep, Dominic Thiem, Stan Wawrinka and Nick Kyrgios have already announced their decision to skip the Games.