Fourth teenager charged over attack on former Wallabies star and family


A fourth teenager has been charged in relation to an alleged violent home invasion in which Rugby Union legend Toutai Kefu and his family were seriously injured.

The former Wallaby and three of his family members were attacked at their Coorparoo home in Brisbane at about 3:00am on Monday.

Police said the attack was carried out with an axe, a knife and a machete.

Mr Kefu suffered serious injuries and was hospitalised with wounds to his abdomen.

His wife, son and daughter also sustained injuries and underwent surgery.

The alleged offenders – three boys aged 15 and one boy aged 13 – have been arrested and charged with 11 offences each.

These include four counts of attempted murder, three of grievous bodily harm and one count each of deprivation of liberty, burglary, enter dwelling with intent whilst armed and unlawful use of a motor vehicle.

They have each been denied police bail and were due to appear before the Brisbane Children’s Court.

One of the teenagers, a 15-year-old boy from the Ipswich suburb of Goodna, was arrested at the scene and charged with 11 offences on Tuesday.

A 15-year-old from Browns Plains in Logan was arrested and charged on Wednesday, while detectives today charged a 15-year-old Springfield Lakes boy, who was admitted to hospital on Monday but since been discharged.

Police initially charged the 13-year-old boy from Inala, west of Brisbane, on Tuesday with three offences.

But today he was charged with more offences, including four counts of attempted murder, three counts of grievous bodily harm and deprivation of liberty.

Kefu family recover at home

Mr Kefu has since returned home from hospital and thanked the community for its support via a Facebook post.

The 47-year-old confirmed he had returned home with his two children, but his wife remained in hospital after sustaining serious lacerations to her arm.

“Wow. Humbling to see the outpouring of love and well wishes from family, friends, community members and the general public,” Mr Kefu wrote.

“We are all doing well. Josh, Madi and myself are out of hospital and we’re hoping Rach will be able to join us tomorrow.

“We just want to say thank you for everyone’s support, we feel very lucky and grateful.”

Police have said they believed the home invasion was not a targeted attack.


Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button