‘We’re still breathing’: Toutai Kefu says his family is ‘damaged’ but OK after alleged home invasion


Members of the Kefu family have returned to their home, after an alleged home invasion on Monday morning.

Speaking from outside his Coorparoo home, former Wallabies star and current Tonga coach Toutai Kefu said “everyone’s on the road to recovery”.

“I’m just grateful that we all got out,” he said

“We’re alive. You know, there might be a little bit of damage moving forward, but we’re still breathing.

“Everyone’s doing well, my wife had her last operation yesterday, so we’ll know more in two weeks about her arm, but everyone else just getting over wounds and all that kind of stuff.”

The 47-year-old required surgery himself after the alleged incident.

Mr Kefu thanked the community for their support.

“On behalf of my family, just want to say a really big thank you to all our friends, family, the community, the general public, people overseas, the rugby community around the world, the outpouring of love and the well wishes from everyone has just been unbelievable.

“I’d just like to thank everyone for keeping us in their thoughts, during that time, as a family we’re very, very grateful and thankful to have that kind of support, so we really appreciate it.”

Mr Kefu said his wife Rachel was still in hospital recovering.

“My kids, they’re all here, my wife, she still won’t come, hoping maybe tomorrow.”

Australian Wallabies Toutai Kefu steps through the New Zealand All Blacks defence.
Mr Kefu was hospitalised and underwent surgery. (

AAP: Dean Lewins


He said the family would be taking it “day-by-day”.

“You know at times, there’s outbursts of crying.

“I think the first step for us is just getting back to the house and then we take it day-by-day.

“The kids seem to be OK, but they still need to be monitored probably moving forward.

“It’s a traumatic event so it’s going to be a slow process.”

Mr Kefu referred to his neighbour as “an absolute hero” and praised his son’s bravery. He said his wife was “a trooper”.

“She’s just had big surgery yesterday; the specialist said, ‘give it two weeks’ and fingers crossed within that two weeks it (has) mended really well.”

Toutai Kefu and family outside house
Toutai Kefu’s wife remains in hospital but the rest of the family have been discharged.(

ABC News: Curtis Rodda


Four teenagers charged

A fourth teenager was charged yesterday in relation to the alleged home invasion.

The alleged offenders – three boys aged 15 and one boy aged 13 – have been arrested and charged with 11 offences each.

These include four counts of attempted murder, three of grievous bodily harm and one count each of deprivation of liberty, burglary, enter dwelling with intent whilst armed and unlawful use of a motor vehicle.

They have each been denied police bail and were due to appear before the Brisbane Children’s Court.

Toutai Kefu's house in Coorparoo
Police forensic officers outside Toutai Kefu’s house in Coorparoo.(

ABC News: Curtis Rodda



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button