Australia

Canberra Raiders sack centre Curtis Scott

The Canberra Raiders have sacked centre Curtis Scott.

The troubled 23-year-old’s career had been in the balance following two major off-field incidents since he joined Canberra from Melbourne 18 months ago.

Most recently, Scott was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm after CCTV footage from Canberra nightspot Kokomo’s allegedly showed him punching another man in the early hours of Sunday, May 30. 

Scott was immediately stood down by the Raiders and accepted an NRL breach notice which suspended him for three games and fined him $15,000, but he was not formally charged until the alleged victim lodged a formal complaint earlier this month.

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.
CCTV footage of an incident at Kokomo’s nightclub allegedly involving Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott.

In a statement released today, the club said it had decided to “terminate the contract of Curtis Scott effective immediately”.

“The board decided that Curtis’s prior behaviour and recent assault charge have brought the club into disrepute, and they could not ignore this and the responsibilities that his NRL playing contract entails,” the Canberra Raiders said.

The board said the club would continue to support Scott’s rehabilitation and it would be in contact with NRL Welfare in this regard.

The Raiders said the board carefully considered the statements made at a “show cause” hearing with Scott on August 17 and the material supplied afterward before making its decision.

Scott was previously accused of assaulting two police officers on Australia Day last year. He was tasered by NSW police and charged with resisting arrest before the case was thrown out in court.

Scott recently turned to Alcoholics Anonymous and psychiatric treatment in a bid to save his NRL career.

He said the anxiety and scars of the incidents left him feeling like he had hit “absolute rock bottom”.

The Raiders said the club would make no further comment.

Scott, who has not appeared in the NRL since round 12, played 10 of his 71 career games this season.


Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
%d bloggers like this: